Saturday, October 27, 2012

Utah Opera tickets

From time to time, I win stuff on KSL radio. Last spring I won, from Grant and Amanda's morning show, season tickets to the Opera. Yay!!! said Frank, with just a touch of skepticism. I redeemed the voucher in July or so, chose seats on Row K, in the Orchestra section. We attended our first opera--Il Trovatore, by Verdi, on Oct 15.
I've never had a ticket that said "Orchestra" on it before. I showed my ticket to the usher (Frank had gone to park the car) and she pointed to the front of the main floor. I found row K, but assumed I would be off to the side. Nope, We're on the aisle of the center section, 11 rows back. Pretty fine! Frank was impressed when he arrived in the hall. I think he was more impressed with the seating than he was with the music. Happily, they provide supertitles. And you don't have to read really fast because one phrase appears on the screen, "I love you more than life" or something to that effect, and then the singers sing and sing and sing and pretty soon we get another phrase on the screen. Evidently, the lyrics repeat a lot! I quite enjoyed the singing. They actors were better singers than actors. The main production number, that we all know is the "The Anvil Chorus". It didn't seem to have much to do with the story, but it is a fun song! I decided that the opera should have been titled "The Troubadore's Girlfriend. She seemed to have all the best aria's.
The opera crowd is noticeably different from the Broadway Across America crowd (both share the Capitol Theater) We saw tuxes and jewelry and suits and slacks. There was the occasional "Bravo" after a particularly inspiring aria. Overall, it was an enjoyable evening. I'm looking forward to the next production --Florencia en el Amazonas. (No idea about that one!)

1 comment:

Heather said...

My brother and his wife got season tickets for them and my parents this year too. So far they have loved going. Glad you had a good time. And yay for free! :)